Sorry I haven't updated in a couple of weeks. I've been kind of busy.
I'm not going to include a lot of details in this post because I'm going to try to send out a newsletter very soon with more details.
These past 2 weeks have been good. I've continued to enjoy hanging out with the kids here at the ranch, as well as the other teachers and missionaries. I have a funny story to share. The other night, several of the teachers were invited to a family's house for dinner. This is a missionary family here at the ranch with 5 kids. This story is about their son who is in 2nd grade. While we were eating dinner, the son, Nate, was talking with one of the teachers about playing soccer. Nate suggested that they start up a soccer team of all the kids 10 and under. Nate was going to be team captain and Jason, the teacher, was going to be referee/coach. In order to make things more fair, Jason suggested that they draw straws instead of Nate automatically becoming team captain. Nate thought about it for a second and then said, "No, I think we should play soccer." He thought they would draw straws instead of playing soccer. The story is probably funnier if you know Nate.
You may remember that we caught a mouse that was in our house and kept him as a pet. Well, we took him to school a week or so ago to have a class pet, but he only stayed a day b/c he stopped eating and was pretty much terrified. Well, after coming home from dinner the other night, we came home to find our door slightly open. I was like, "Oh...I wonder if Mickey (a cat that belongs one of the girls that lives in the house above us) came in." Mickey has been known to do that before. Anyway, Jae then said, "If she did, I hope our little mouse is ok." pretty much the same time she said that we saw this:
the mouse's cage had been knocked down off of the shelf where it was, the lid was open, and the little wood shavings were spilled everywhere. Then we found Mickey ready to pounce on something that was under Jae's dresser. That night and the next day we saw no sign of the mouse.
Last night, i came home from the city and saw something dark in the middle of the floor. I realized it was our mouse! But as I came closer to him, he didn't move at all. I was afraid he was dead. Then he slowly backed away, but didn't run like mice usually do. He was so still that I was able to put a box over him until Jae came home and was able to put him back in the cage.
So..now our mouse is back home, but probably a little traumatized from the experience with Mickey.
Yesterday I had another long, but fun day in the city. There was a meeting after church that was supposed to last about 30 minutes. It ended up lasting about 2 hours! 2 of the other teachers and I didn't go in, so we just waited outsided for it to be over. We were pretty bored and starving by the time it was time to go. Afterwards, we went to the mall where I was able to hang out with Kevin, a friend from TCU, who is also in Tegucigalpa doing some mission work. After that, a bunch of people from the ranch went to Ruby Tuesdays for a celebration of Jennifer (another teacher) and my birthday. It was a fun time...and a good deal...2 for 1 appetizers and desserts!
School and everything else is still going well! We've been doing the outreach thing in the community with the literacy program and kid's bible club every wednesday. It's been encouraging to see a lot of the same people come back as well as a few new people each week.
Please be praying for me as I need to decide by November 15th whether or not I'm going to stay for another year. Right now, i'm seriously considering it, and can't think of a reason why I shouldn't stay.
As always, thanks for all of your prayers and support!
Hannah :)

No comments:
Post a Comment