Thursday, October 4, 2007

A fun day!

I had a very blessed birthday today! The day was full of one fun thing after another. this morning as I was getting ready for school, I received a phone call from one of the Honduran house parents here telling me what a blessing I was here and how God has a special plan for me being here, etc. Once I got to school, the teachers all had a little party for me before classes started. At the beginning of the school year, we all drew birthdays of each other so that each of us would be responsible for the celebration of the birthday of someone else. One of the Honduran teachers drew my name, but i didn't know it until this morning. We're supposed to go to a meeting at 8:10 every morning where we pray for the day and discuss any important items of business that we may need to know about before classes start at 8:20. ANYWAYS, as I was headed toward the meeting, one of the other teachers called me aside to "talk to me about 2 of his students who i teach ESL to" as a little distraction while they finished getting everything ready. They gave him the signal that everything was ok so I entered to them singing "Happy Birthday" in Spanish..."Feliz Cumpleanos a ti," with a yummy cake with strawberries, some popcorn, soda, decorations, a banner, and a card. It was all very nice!

When I got to my class, my students each brought me a little card they made me and little presents. They were all so sweet. One of my students wrote his card in English and Spanish since he knows I'm learning Spanish. One little boy gave me a little octopus he had made out of yarn in art class a few weeks ago. He also included a "necklace from that place....you know...Hawaii!" the necklace is one of those little plastic leis :). My other gifts included, a little beanie baby blue jay, one of those little flexible rubber mickey mouse toys, flowers picked from the yard, and a cd complete with 2 Michael Jackson songs. Jae's class also came in to sing happy birthday to me, and she had her crafts class make "graffiti signs" for me.

Tonight, Jae and I were invited over to dinner at one of the other teacher's house. We had a nice little dinner complete with a yummy carrot cake from Jae. After that, we went to a meeting where we were planning this next month's lessons for the community outreach kids' thing we've been doing on Wednesdays. In the middle of the meeting, someone wrote a note to the person leading the meeting to sing happy birthday to me. So...right in the middle of the meeting, they sang "Happy Birthday" to me in English, Spanish, and as a rap. It was quite entertaining.

I loved all the emails and little messages on facebook from everyone! I was also able to talk to my mom and leave Robbie a little birthday message too.

Thanks to everyone that made this day so special for me! I've enjoyed every bit of it! It was a real blessing!

No comments: